The International Bibliography of Humanism and the Renaissance (IBHR) is the international reference bibliography of academic publications on the Renaissance and the early modern period.
The IBHR is a continuation of the Bibliographie internationale de l’Humanisme et de la Renaissance, coordinated and published by Librairie Droz since 1965. Brepols Publishers acquired the rights to the Bibliography in 2013 and has since been working on updating the content, extending the coverage, and building new software to support the online edition of the Bibliography.
Aims and scope
The IBHR has a wide and ambitious scope. The core of the Bibliography focuses on European history and culture that spans the 16th and 17th centuries, and encompasses a broad spectrum of subjects, ranging from religious history through to philosophy, science and the arts; and from military and political history through to social and gender studies.
Both the geographical and the chronological delimitations are not restrictive as the IBHR also includes publications on the European interactions with the wider world through exploration, colonisation, slavery and the Christian mission and extends its coverage to the modern period with the inclusion of modern hermeneutics, reception studies and the 21st-century teaching of texts written in the target period.
The IBHR covers publications written in various languages: English, French, German, Greek, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Hungarian, Romanian, Dutch, Polish, Russian, Swedish and Japanese.
- More than 421.000 entries searchable (February 2021)
- 20.000 references added annually
- 900 journals regularly checked
- A comprehensive cataloguing and indexing system, using familiar, multilingual terminology
- 120,000 index terms
- English and French thesaurus
- Numerous search fields: author, title, year of publication, subject, etc.
- Several export formats (EndNote, Zotero, RefWorks, Microsoft Office Word)
- Citation tools: MHRA, MLA, APA and Chicago
- Multi-lingual interface
- Live links to encyclopaedic works (Lexikon des Mittelalters, International Encyclopaedia for the Middle Ages and Dictionnaire d’histoire et de géographie ecclésiastiques)
- Compatible with OpenURL, facilitating linkage to full text
- DOI links
- Email Alerts
English version (PDF)
French version (PDF)
Download the French version
Download the English version
See also the International Medieval Bibliography.