The Index Religiosus begins from the basis of two existing bibliographies: the bibliography of the Revue d’histoire ecclésiastique and the Elenchus Bibliographicus from the journal Ephemerides Theologicae Lovanienses. These two tools are internationally recognized as essential working instruments for Theology and Religious Studies.
Scope and aims
The Index Religiosus endeavours to become the international reference bibliography for academic publications in Theology and Religious Studies. It covers publications written in various European languages (English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, etc.) and is the result of collaboration between the Catholic University of Louvain and the KU Leuven, which are both recognized internationally for their excellence in the field of Theology and Religious Studies.
The Index Religiosus covers the full range of disciplines in Theology and Canon Law: History of Theology, History of Religions, Old and New Testaments, Fundamental and Dogmatic Theology, Sacramentology and Liturgy, Moral and Pastoral Theology, and Canon Law.
All aspects of Church History are also widely covered: Institutions; Orders; Congregations; Influential Figures; Hagiography; Political, Social and Economic History; Archaeology; Art History; Music; Architecture; Relations with Islam and Judaism; and more, which makes the Index Religiosus a tool of the first order for all manner of disciplines.
- Approximately 630,000 bibliographic records and 140,000 review references are searchable (November 2019)
- More than 20,000 new records every year
- Over 1000 journals systematically checked
- Multilingual Interface (English, French, Spanish, Italian and German)
- Indexing in English and French
- Extensive search possibilities (Author, Title, Year of Publication, ISBN / ISSN, Geographic Area, Discipline, Period, Keyword, Person, etc.)
- Ability to query the database from Bible Verses, the Tenets of Canon Law, or the Dead Sea Scrolls
- Ability to export records in several formats (Endnote, Microsoft Office Word, Refworks, Zotero, etc.)
- Ability to create email alerts with notification of new publications
- Compatible with OpenURL
- DOI links to articles in journals and miscellany volumes
- Direct links to the Dictionnaire d’histoire et de géographie ecclésiastiques, Die Bischöfe des Heiligen Römischen Reiches and the Library of Latin Texts.
- Links to Google books
The Index Religiosus is the fruit of a partnership between the Catholic University of Louvain, the KU Leuven and Brepols Publishers.
French version (PDF)
English version (PDF)
German version (PDF)
Italian version (PDF)
Subscriptions and contact information
Please contact Brepols Publishers for:
- a 30-day free trial period for institutional users
- a price quotation
- details on, or a specimen of, the licence agreement
B – 2300 Turnhout / Belgium
Related blog Posts
For more information or news, please go to the blog Posts.
See also the Dictionnaire d’histoire et de géographie ecclésiastiques.
© KU Leuven, Université Catholique de Louvain-la-Neuve & Brepols Publishers n.v.
© Online version, Functional Design and Publication Rights by Brepols Publishers n.v. (Turnhout, Belgium)