The Monumenta Germaniae Historica was founded in 1819 by the Gesellschaft für Deutschlands ältere Geschichtskunde. It is without doubt one of the most prestigious editorial undertakings for the critical publication of medieval historical texts.
In more than 300 volumes, covering the widest possible range of historical documents, divided into five major Series (Scriptores, Leges, Diplomata, Epistolae and Antiquitates) and into 33 Subseries, the Monumenta not only continues its editorial programme but it has established for all Western scholarship a standard for critical editions.
Aims and scope
The powerful search engine developed by the Centre ‘Traditio Litterarum Occidentalium’ and Brepols Publishers allows unparalleled exploitation of this important body of texts, permitting in-depth searches of the corpus. Moreover, the integration of the eMGH into the Brepolis Latin platform offers the opportunity to carry out searches simultaneously with other collections of texts bringing together a total of more than 9,000 works (Library of Latin Texts, Aristoteles Latinus Database, Archive of Celtic-Latin Literature), and allows the user to search Latin reference dictionaries (Database of Latin Dictionaries).
- At the moment, the eMGH contains more than 3,700 texts.
- The database is updated yearly with new material. As a general rule, precedence is given to narrative sources.
- The interface is the same as for Brepols other full-text databases (Library of Latin Texts, Archive of Celtic-Latin Literature and Aristoteles Latinus Database)
- The powerful search-software enables the users to undertake
enhanced search possibilities:
- by using wildcards and operators, the user can construct complex search-queries
- filters are used when, instead of searching through the entire data set, one wishes to restrict the search to a particular Author or group of Authors, a articular Work, a particular Period or Century.
- Interface in English, French, German Italian
- The eMGH are part of the Brepolis Latin platform which is augmented every year and which currently includes four corpora of texts totaling more than 9,000 texts in all. By of the Cross Database Searchtool, the eMGH can be searched simultaneously with the Library of Latin Texts, the Aristoteles Latinus Database, and the Archive of Celtic-Latin Literature
- ‘live links’ to reference dictionaries (Database of Latin Dictionaries): a user can select a word found in a text of eMGH and automatically find entries on the word in the constituent dictionaries of the Database of Latin Dictionaries (20 dictionaries available)
- Advanced search capacities for the eMGH are combined with the possibility of accessing the digital version of each text. Thus, from each search result, a link to the digital version of the corresponding page (along with its critical apparatus) is offered
English version (PDF)
Subscriptions and contact information
Please contact Brepols Publishers for:
- a 30-day free trial period for institutional users
- a price quotation
- details on, or a specimen of, the licence agreement
B – 2300 Turnhout / Belgium
Related blog Posts
For more information or news, please go to the blog Posts.
© Functional design by CTLO and Brepols Publishers, Turnhout, 2017
© Database by Monumenta Germaniae Historica and Brepols Publishers, Turnhout, 2017
© Lucene – search technology by Apache Foundation (http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0)
© Publication rights by Brepols Publishers, Turnhout, 2017