From its inception in 1942, the “Sources Chrétiennes” series (based in Lyon and published by Éditions du Cerf in Paris) has provided critical editions of texts from the first 1400 years of the Church, accompanied by a French translation as well as an introduction and notes. More precisely, the series consists of editions-with-translations of Christian texts in Greek and Latin, but also in oriental languages, such as Syriac, Armenian and Georgian. Whereas it has always been the series’ mission to make the texts at hand easily accessible for consultation and (linguistic, historical, philosophical and theological) study, Sources Chrétiennes Online even expands the possibilities in this regard. Reserving the introduction, apparatus and notes for the printed series, the online database makes it possible to select texts along various criteria and to perform targeted searches both on the source texts and on the French translations that over the years have been published in the series.
- Online version of the Sources Chrétiennes series
- Texts in Greek, Latin, Syriac, Armenian and Georgian
- French translations
- 456 volumes already available
- 100 volumes added per year
- Both the source texts and the translations are searchable
- Multiple filters allow for targeted searches
- ‘Instrumenta‘, a tool implemented in the database, provides you with suggestions of translation (drawn from the Lewis & Short and the Gaffiot) and morphological analysis in a pop-up, for the Latin words encountered in the texts of the database.
- Marc records and authority files available for each text
List of volumes available in 2022
- List of volumes available in 2022
- Notable additions include Gregory the Great’s Moralia in Job, the works of Mark the Ascetic, and Hilary of Poitiers’ Commentary on the Psalms, alongside many others. By 2025, the SCO database will cover all volumes by then published in print in the long-running Sources Chrétiennes edition project.
English version (PDF)
French version (PDF)
Subscriptions and contact information
Please contact Brepols Publishers for:
- a 30-day free trial period for institutional users
- a price quotation
- details on, or a specimen of, the licence agreement
B – 2300 Turnhout / Belgium